ABOUT MODERN FAMILY ALLIANCE
The Modern Family Alliance operates with a mission to support LGBTQ parents and their children through events, resources, and education, and to foster a community in the Kansas City metro area that is respectful, encouraging and inclusive of all families.
1) Maintain a network of LGBTQ parents so that they can mentor and help one another throughout the family life cycle.
2) Offer resource and referral information to prospective and existing LGBTQ parents.
3) Advocate for LGBTQ families in the Midwest so that they may participate fully in the larger community without fear of oppression, intimidation, or exclusion.
4) Provide educational workshops, conferences, and trainings for LGBTQ families and the LGBTQ family service providers.
5) Organize social activities and events which invite LGBTQ families to meet one another, network, find mutual support and share experiences that may be beneficial to other families.
The Modern Family Alliance (MFA), formerly the Midwest Alternative Family Alliance (MAFA), was founded in 2002 by a small group of people to act as a catalyst for social action on behalf of LGBT families. Since then, the organization has been celebrating LGBTQ parents, prospective parents and those who support them. In 2005, MFA became a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a goal of providing a presence, a voice, and a way to to better perform its mission to connect LGBTQ families and educate the larger community.
In 2015, the organization officially changed its name to the Modern Family Alliance to better reflect the social and cultural transition of the LGBTQ family in today’s society. In 2018, MFA officially joined the National Network of LGBTQ Family Groups and continues to provide family and community based events through their guidance and best practices.